After watching this movie, I was most surprised by my reaction to the USA segment. As an American, I thought I would feel the most in tune with this part, but I actually felt the most connection with Indian segment. It clearly emphasized the us and them division that resulted from the attacks when all of the neighbors began to avoid the Pakistani family, suspecting them as terrorists. Seeing this section of the movie made me think about my emotions and my feelings after September 11, and I realized that I was guilty of the same stereotyping. I remember specifically flying with my mom a few months after. As we were waiting to board the flight my mom looked at me with eyes of fear. I knew what she was referring to, but I felt uncomfortable acknowledging that I felt the same way.
I think this speaks a lot to some of the things we talk about in ICS. Our identities force us to see things from different perspectives. Our identities help us to create divisions in our minds. In that moment, I felt like an American. Was I wrong for feeling this way? Were the neighbors wrong for avoiding their Pakistani friend? Although stereotyping may be unfair, it is natural. I am not sorry for my reaction, and I don’t think the neighbors should be either.
Monday, September 28, 2009
sorry i'm not sorry
Labels:
American,
divisions,
emotions,
fear,
ics125,
September 11,
stereotyping,
terrorist
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment