Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"_____________________"


This blog is untitled on purpose: get it, no language?

How awesome is this video from Ukraine’s Got Talent. At first I was a little upset that we didn’t talk about it in class, but now I realize that by trying to put the message of the video into words or by using language to describe it, we would alter the individual impression/interpretation each of us has of the video by itself. Ahh, the fruitful frustrations of non-language! Enjoy. (as a side-note: it depicts the invasion of Ukraine by Nazi Germany). Click on the screenshot for a link to the whole video!

2 comments:

  1. Yea! TOTALLY! I was sooo looking forward to discussing this one in class. I mean, this girl was crazy talented. I literally could not take my eyes off the screen.

    We have discussed language quite a bit in the past, so this was really interesting to compare this video as the absence of language. And I guess by not discussing Marcy was actually teaching the today’s lesson without talking about it. Oh, the irony.

    But, I am a little confused why we are referring to this video as the absence of language. I am pretty sure that art is a form of language. We really should call it the absence of words. As the clip panned in on the tear drops rolling down the face of one of the audience members, it was clear that some message had been conveyed. Maybe there were no words spoken, but there was definitely communication involved. This clipped helped me to think about the different ways that people communicate with each other. Even though we don’t all speak the same language, we are all humans and we are all capable of interacting with one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great distinction between language and word. Communication for sure does not need words, but language? Not sure. What about sign language, body language. Not matter the language I do know that it's hard to be sure that we've understood.

    ReplyDelete